reviews, recommendations, recipes, and The Bar Project

Welcome to Philadelphia

Posted by dave

Philadelphia - Home (soon)

So the lack of posts seems to have escaped just about everyone, save one endearing friend I have named Ed.  He reminds me on a near daily basis, just in case I forget the neglect I seem to have strewn upon all five of you who read this blog.

But there is a reason – a method behind my madness – that I have been so absent.  I have hinted in past posts that I am moving, and the moving has been taking its toll.

My girlfriend and I bought a place in old city Philadelphia.  It’s a wonderful building, over 200 years old, that is being gutted and rebuilt inside into about 20 condos. It sits on a historic cobblestone street. Very cool area, very artsy, steeped in history and culture.  Oh, and it’s a brilliant restaurant and bar scene.

The move is not without its bumps.  Construction has been delayed several times, the latest catching us in a bit of a quandary.  In order to pay for the new condo, we had to sell my girlfriend’s place, and I ended the lease on my apartment.  Well, we did that assuming a March settlement date on the new condo, which has come and gone.  We’re now essentially homeless, save for the amazing support of family.

On top of that, I’ve started my new job in Philadelphia, also taking time away from things like keeping up on my reviews.  So having no real home with no kitchen and no bar, my drinking has taken a deep dive into the realms of almost nil.  A scary scenario I know, but it’s true.  I have several bottles of ale and wine in storage that I plan to share with you – once they are back out of storage.

In the mean time, I’m going to try to start sharing some of the Philadelphia scene with you as well.  There are some really cool bars and restaurants around the city, and as I start visiting them all, I’ll be sure to share them.  I know it’s a bit local in nature, but hopefully some of you live in the area.

In that vein, we’re also going to change the format of this blog a bit.  We’ve been all over the charts with postings – regarding starting a business, ASP.NET vs RoR, web design standards, etc.  I’ve come to realize that most of our traffic comes from the inebriated faithful of you who care more about booze than my decision to run on top of the .NET 2.0 Framework.  So we’re going to cut out a lot of the technical baloney and focus more on reviews of booze and bars, and other cool gadgets related to the industry we’re choosing to place ourselves.

So code hounds, I apologize.  Perhaps we’ll open a section dedicated only to tech, but we’ll see about that later.

Until then, check out a really cool restaurant in old city Philadelphia called Fork. It’s one of the first places my girlfriend ever took me in Philly (having lived here before) and so I share it with you all.  Good food, cool atmosphere, really cool name.

Posted in General, Restaurants

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Trackbacks

4. lifelock complaints

lifelock complaints

Welcome to Philadelphia | The Bar Project Project

5. Best Anti Aging Solutions

Best Anti Aging Solutions

Welcome to Philadelphia | The Bar Project Project

Comments

1. tamir berkman said:

Hi Dave,

I just found your blog. Congradulations on the new place and on your blogs new format. I’ll be back to read more.
    Good luck with it!

2. Lynne Martin said:

Hello, Dave.

Welcome to Philly! The bars and restaurants here are amazing. Lots of great places. If you’re into beer (and it sounds like you are) be sure to visit Monk’s Cafe at 16th & Spruce. Great selection. I’ve also heard good things about Eulogy, but haven’t made it there yet myself.

Although I no longer live downtown, I went to school at the Art Institute of Philadelphia and lived in center city for many years. I make my home in Ridley Park, now which is just south of the city.

Being a web designer who loves beer, I will have to be sure to come back and visit your site again – this is my first time here.

Good luck with the move!

Lynne

3. dave said:

Thanks guys. Lynn – I’m totally excited to be in the city. I’ll check out Monk’s for sure. Eulogy is good I hear – if you’re into wine, check out Vintage – it rocks!

Keep an eye out for The Bar Project store, coming soon!

4. MOSLEY said:

Your audiologist, who is a hearing professional, will take the time to explain
    what the price includes, and what it does not, including warranty and a trial period.
    The market for hearing aids has come a long way from just the ‘in the canal’ hearing aids.
    With the development of the Bravo B11 and B12 mini-BTE
    models, anyone with a moderately severe hearing loss can now enjoy the well-known advantages of our Bravo series.

5. cabling jobs in vancouver said:

His underlings circumvented this particular decree by employing a Sony engineer whom they eliminated to the storage room whenever Jobs visited.

6. Sheena said:

Weight Loss God’s Way teaches you how the point isn’t what you put
    in your mouth-it’s why you eat that matters. You should not feel the urge to take night snack or supper once you take a fiber-rich dinner, which
    will last you till the following morning.

They may even like them better then the normal
    foods that are eaten everyday.

7. m88 said:

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. Such clever ork and exposure!
    Keep up the fantastic works guys I’ve included you guys to
    my personal blogroll.

8. m88 said:

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment. I do think that you
    ought to write more on this issue, it may not be a tabooo subject but typically people
    don’t discuss such issues. To the next! Cheers!!

9. Adelaide said:

You know without a doubt that you put these in the mail weeks ago.
    There was a time where I read over 100 books in a six week period.
    In either case, I would have not made the purchase if I would have just paid for the vet check.

10. Trena said:

MATLAB is comprisedof in-built language, different tools and mathematical functions that empowerthe users to discover manifold maths approaches.

When one parent has more lax rules about homework, it’s harder to enforce more firm rules in the other’s home.
    From the Cinavia technical pages and other technical sites; all later editions
    PS3 and bluray players have Cinavia drm built-in via