reviews, recommendations, recipes, and The Bar Project

Marge’s Marvelous Manhattan ®

Posted by sean

manhattan
When it comes to a favorite – any favorite – there is a comfort that comes without thinking – or perhaps more accurately a comfort that come from not having to think.

In my own case, that comfort comes with the topic of this post – the Manhattan – my own particular favorite when it comes to cocktails.

Depending on my mood, I enjoy a variety of drinks, but when the question comes, “What’ll you have” – the first answer that comes without thinking is – a Manhattan, a Perfect Manhattan on the sweet side, to be precise.

As is the custom here at the bar project, I am at this very moment enjoying a Manhattan and hope it’s story below does not suffer as its warm and welcome effects take hold.

To start with, I consider the Manhattan to be an adult’s drink – surely not unapproachable, but in a class of drinks that requires a certain familiarity with alcohol before one is likely to appreciate it. Within the spectrum of alcoholic beverages, the Manhattan falls decidedly within the more mature half – above your lower order mixed drinks and just below the true pinnacle of alcoholic appreciation – the single malt scotch, served ‘neat’. That topic however, is for another post…

Perhaps a bit off topic, but it occurs to me that, in our culture, the cocktail spectrum begins without alcohol at all. In fact, it seems one engages the cocktail ‘experience’ from the earliest stages of childhood with the venerable Shirley Template or Roy Rogers.

It is with these ‘mocktails’ that children are initiated – first introduced to the idea that a cocktail is a sort of passkey to the adult social experience. Somehow even these virgin cocktails seem to lend a level of sophistication to a youngster’s perception of their ability to participate in the overall adult social experience.

From this early introduction, the alcoholic journey begins – through various virgin drinks, then ‘entry-level’ drinks – mainly mixer with a shot of something you don’t really have to taste, but with enough consumption will produce the desired socializing ‘buzz’, then graduating to more mature drinks that more clearly expose their alcoholic content.

In my own case, I enjoyed passing through each of these stages and began my engagement with ‘up’ drinks with what must be considered the de facto standard – the Vodka Martini. Perhaps seeking a passkey myself to some level of adult sophistication I felt I had not yet attained – ridiculous, I know…

After toying with the Martini – and settling on the ‘dirty’ variety, which now seems a waste of decent vodka, I found myself sampling various other up drinks without developing a particular affinity for any of them.

I can’t remember exactly when I first met was is now my old friend, the Manhattan, but I do know from whence it came – my mother-in-law… As an aside, I’m sure everyone has a stereotypical mother-in-law comment coming to mind, but in my case, my own mother-in-law is best known amongst my friends for her hearty appreciation of that magical moment between day and evening – the cocktail hour. And therein lay the entrée to my first Manhattan.

Whoever may have made the introductions, we have become fast friends. The Manhattan and I, I mean – although I get on swimmingly with my mother-in-law as well. Perhaps considering the fact that my mother-in-law and I engage socially primarily over the cocktail hour, the two are not so unrelated?

If you’re interested in improving your own relationship with your mother-in-law (or anyone for that matter), I can heartily recommend the Manhattan as a lubricant and offer my mother-in-law’s recipe below. As with most up drinks, the Manhattan is an exceedingly simple drink with only a very few ingredients.

Marge’s Marvelous Manhattan ®

3 oz. blended whiskey – Seagram’s VO is my favorite
1 oz. sweet vermouth
1/4 oz. dry vermouth
1 tsp. maraschino cherry juice
1 maraschino cherry

Place 1 tsp. of maraschino cherry juice in each glass with a maraschino cherry. Combine whiskey, sweet and dry vermouth in an ice filled shaker, shake, pour and enjoy.

As simple a recipe as it is, I am amazed at how widely varied its preparation seems to be when I order it out and how very particular I am about it when it fails to meet expectations. Nonetheless, I always find it worth the extra effort to get it right as there’s little worse than struggling through a flawed execution of what was to have been a welcome and well-known favorite.

I have been thinking about having cards printed up to avoid having to wait to find out if the bartender has gotten it right, but haven’t gone that far yet… I’ll keep you posted.

Posted in Mixed Drinks, Recipes, Whiskey

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Trackbacks

1. Matt Feshback Okyanos

Matt Feshback Okyanos

Marge’s Marvelous Manhattan ® | The Bar Project Project

Comments

1. thirteentwenty said:

As a bartender, I can tell you that there are many different recipies for a Manhattan. If you frequent the same pubs (bars or what ever you want to call them) you really should leave a little recipe card with the ‘tenders so you don’t have to keep on telling the the recipe untill they have it memorized. I for one am appreciative of the customers that do that for me (which are normaly other bartenders). I hope that you don’t mind, I’ve added your recipe to my recipe book.

2. OtterTail said:

Blended whiskey? Please no. Only Maker’s Mark will do in my Manhattan.

3. sandrar said:

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.

4. Latoya said:

If you don’t have a clear objective, then losing weight will be much
    more difficult if not impossible. Some cases of minerals vitamins overdose could have fatal consequences.
    According to the “Daily Mail” on Friday the accomplished artist
    wanted to show she lost all the fat that comes with
    having a baby.

5. m88 said:

I used to be recommended this web site by my cousin. I’m no longer surre whether this
    post is written by him as no one else know such particular about my trouble.
    You aare incredible! Thamk you!

6. Modern Beard Styles said:

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re
    just extremely great. I really like what you
    have acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which
    you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible.
    I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous website.

7. bestgps2015.com said:

I rarely leave a response, however i did a few searching and wound up here Marges
    Marvelous Manhattan ® | The Bar Project Project. And I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright.
    Is it just me or does it give the impression like some of the responses come across as if they are left by brain dead people?
    :-P And, if you are posting at additional online social sites,
    I’d like to follow everything new you have to post.
    Could you list of all of your communal pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

8. Okay said:

Awesome browse toruhgh! I do have was given One particular guidance for use on your website. The software seems as if there are method list items any time launching various posts and articles online steel plus opera. It is really doing business nice toruhghout internet explorer. Likely you may check of which. I’ve truly pretty much kept this short article describes for . to buy a lot more visitors your own website.

9. http://genericcialis36.top/ said:

That’s a smart way of looking at the world.

10. best auto insurance quotes in Vista CA said:

Hey, that’s powerful. Thanks for the news.

11. http://www.ionicbathfootdetox.com/ said:

Our favorite bedtime book is ‘The Going to bed Book’ by Sandra Boynton. Little man always begs for one more no matter how many books we read.

12. http://www.rab-jeric.com/ said:

Amazing, amazing–I have to get my hands (and mouth) on one of those brownies! And I love your adaptation. Now my mind is racing thinking about how I can adapt YOURS so that I can have some, too (ie, no PB, sugar, anti-candida etc.). Oooh–totally YUM.

13. http://www.modestochirooffices.com/ said:

Jeg har tenkt Ã¥ spørre den godeste Rose-Marie om vi kanskje kan legge ut omtale samme dag. FÃ¥r ikke lest sÃ¥ mye som jeg ønsker for tia, har hatt hodepine i flere dager. Er vanligvis og heldigvis spart for sÃ¥nt, og der banka jeg i bordet, men i dag var det sÃ¥ ille at jeg mÃ¥tte ta meg en sykedag. Mistenker at alderen har begynt Ã¥ klusse med synet mitt…..

14. Sadie said:

Every evening I had to sit and do my homework, I would feel miserable,
    I could hear the voices of my friends playing outside and wonder how come they get
    to play and I have to do this stupid homework, I used
    to think maybe in college I don’t have to do homework, boy,
    I was wrong, Then I thought when I start working I don’t have to do any more homework,
    I was sadly mistaken again. What can we do together creatively to
    get that rate down. s not the kind of thing you should ingest
    before operating heavy machinery or driving, but valerian root proved to be an awesome, gentle solution for my nighttime anxiety.

15. http://www.rehabsandrentals.com/ said:

You’re a real deep thinker. Thanks for sharing.

16. http://www.tungolteam.com/ said:

I'm a bit surprised they serve pork at Silk Road given that it's a Xinjiang restaurant. The people of Xinjiang are ethnically distinct from Han Chinese and are Muslim so I'd expect pork to be verboten.Just to echo one of the anon commenters, you do realise that the distance between Sichuan and Xinjiang is akin to that between Norway and Italy?

17. http://www.noahsarkpetandsupplies.com/ said:

Toutes les observations relatives à cette production hideuse sont pertinentes. Peut-on ajouter qu’aucun prince de Monaco ni le moindre « Princesse Alice » n’ont navigué ni mis pied dans les TAAF !

18. http://www.reevesquadruplets.com/ said:

Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you beenblogging for? you make blogging look easy.The overall look of your web site is magnificent, as well as the content!

19. http://www.bluehillhouseofpizza.net/ said:

Din pacate sotul meu nu a stiut exact ce fel de carne am folosit. Am folosit carne de vita, ma gandesc ca din graba si din obisnuinta, poate, a scris porc.

20. http://www.insuranceofmiddletennessee.com/?page_id=71/ said:

(Paperback) The CD is Not Mac OS X Lion compatible, which lead us to get a very affordablePC laptop and found out that it has ONLY 180 practice questions!!Way to go Kap-Scam!

21. http://www.prestamospersonales.tech/ said:

Beautiful, great photos and a beautiful cave. There is something in our home on the Swabian Alb, too. But unfortunately not in the area of Zurich. Thank you for your blog. Always very interesting. Beautiful day for you.Regards George

22. http://www./ said:

Sarkozy est le président de tous les français qu’on le veuille ou non, certes il est un tantinet fragile du haut de ses un mètres soixante mais que voulez vous; Il a la taille de ses ambitions qui, aujourd’hui, ne se limite que vers la sortie de l’Élysée en 2012. Pour Carla avec ses airs de minettes malgré les kilomètres au compteur va certainement abaisser la chanson Française au niveau du caniveau où elle fut ramassée un jour de printemps.