reviews, recommendations, recipes, and The Bar Project

Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale

Posted by dave

Japanese Classic Ale

I’m walking down Pine street in Philadelphia, and happen upon this small deli that sells a whole international selection of beers. Bonus – they have a “make your own six pack” policy on all these international beers, so at least a few reviews will your way be coming.

Not going to spend a lot of time on this ale, but it deserves a taste should you happen upon it. It’s not cheap – a single 11.2 oz bottle cost a whopping $2.50, but it’s certainly worth having at least one for your own beer edification. Nothing wrong with being able to say “oh, Hitachino Nest Beer’s Japanese Classic Ale? Of course I’ve had it. Where have you been?”

Brewed by Kiuchi Breweries in Japan, the Japanese Classic Ale is part of their Hitachino Nest Beer brand which, ironically, only includes ales. That not withstanding, it’s known most commonly for the little owl that adorns the several ale varieties they brew and distribute, which is not that wide, but getting wider in the US.

As for the beer itself… this is an ale for those who like an ale with a little exotic flavor behind it.

First, it pours nicely, with a staying head – for an ale, anyway. The head is creamy looking, which incidentally is a great indicator for the texture of the beer itself. It’s amber color reminds you more of a porter than anything, and it’s not entirely transparent, eliciting thoughts of a yeasty weisen. There is definitely a fine sediment in the beer, but it doesn’t settle, so you’re not left with soaked sand at the end of the beer.

The flavor is damn nice too. The hops isn’t hidden at all. For me, I’m a hops lover through and through. When I think of delicacy, I think of Hop Devil or Hop Hazard. But since hops strong enough to peel paint off of your car isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, I’ll guarantee you that this brew is not to the level of assaulting. However, it certainly doesn’t shy away from the hops either, demanding the drinker at least appreciate the role hops has to play in this solid ale.

The most interesting part of this brew actually strikes you almost immediately. Although stated quite clearly on their label, the Japanese Classic Ale is matured in cedar casks while it ferments. If you didn’t read this fact, the interesting flavor may throw you for a loop as you try to figure out the woody, yet difficult-to-place taste. Having read “cedar” on the bottle, however, I was immediately able to understand what I was tasting.

This ale is quite smooth, and leaves a nice softness on your tongue. The cedar flavor is outstanding, and really separates this from other ales. The price is definitely a bit high, but I may have been able to get a better price somewhere else. At $2.50 a bottle for less than 12 oz, I don’t see myself being a regular investor. However, the alcohol content does stand at a nice hearty 7% ABV, so it certainly packs a small punch.

Posted in Ale, Beer, General, Japanese

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Trackbacks

10. private residential property price index singapore ura

New Futura Singapore

Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale | The Bar Project Project

11. Singapore property information

New Futura showflat

Hitachino Nest Japanese Classic Ale | The Bar Project Project

Comments

1. Schauen Sie sich diese Seite an said:

I don’t even know how I finished up right here, but
    I believed this put up was good. I do not know who you might be however
    definitely you are going to a well-known blogger when
    you aren’talready. Cheers!

2. car for sale said:

You can see the latest Nissan Titan cold air intakes at.
    After you have connected the hoses, turn your
    engine back on and see if that was the cause of the engine
    vibration noise. The durable components that get re-machined include crankshaft, connecting rods, valves, and valve seats.

3. best coffee makers 2015 said:

you’re in point of fact a just right webmaster.
    The website loading pace is incredible. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick.
    Also, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a magnificent
    task on this subject!

4. floor tiles said:

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you’re a great author.I will
    be sure to bookmark your blog and definitely
    will come back in the foreseeable future.
    I want to encourage continue your great posts, have a
    nice evening!

5. m88 said:

What’s Happening i’m new to this, Istumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively helpful and it hass
    helped me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & hellp different users like its helped me.
    Good job.

6. m88 said:

I could not refrain from commenting. Exceptionally wwell
    written!

7. m88 said:

Howdy! This blog post coluld not be writtn any better!
    Reading tgrough this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He continually kept talking about this. I am going too forward
    this information to him. Pretty sure he will have a great read.
    I appreciate yyou for sharing!

8. chadevans.net said:

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It if truth be told was once a amusement account it.
    Look complicated to far delivered agreeable from you!
    By the way, how can we communicate?

9. cheats ultimate alliance said:

You can make the road upgrade smaller by running another road into it, this will help you save significant
    amount of coins. Note that this free version only includes the 7-minute long guided meditation. 0 foundry Heroic Blackrock Raiders,
    holy priests share ideas and experiences, most of the boss too much pressure, but God is the key to control blue, animal husbandry, the landlord introduces some
    boss battle in detail, with a look.

10. free robux codes said:

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m happy that you shared
    this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed
    like this. Thank you for sharing.

11. Kumiko said:

As for non-instructional text I’m reading . Fictionalized true story about desopseirn era moonshiners from the county I grew up in (Franklin County, VA).Product Description (via Amazon)Based on the true story of Matt Bondurant’s grandfather and two granduncles, The Wettest County in the World is a gripping tale of brotherhood, greed, and murder. The Bondurant Boys were a notorious gang of roughnecks and moonshiners who ran liquor through Franklin County, Virginia, during Prohibition and in the years after. Forrest, the eldest brother, is fierce, mythically indestructible, and the consummate businessman; Howard, the middle brother, is an ox of a man besieged by the horrors he witnessed in the Great War; and Jack, the youngest, has a taste for luxury and a dream to get out of Franklin. Driven and haunted, these men forge a business, fall in love, and struggle to stay afloat as they watch their family die, their father’s business fail, and the world they know crumble beneath the Depression and drought.White mule, white lightning, firewater, popskull, wild cat, stump whiskey, or rotgut whatever you called it, Franklin County was awash in moonshine in the 1920s. When Sherwood Anderson, the journalist and author of Winesburg, Ohio, was covering a story there, he christened it the wettest county in the world. In the twilight of his career, Anderson finds himself driving along dusty red roads trying to find the Bondurant brothers, piece together the clues linking them to The Great Franklin County Moonshine Conspiracy, and break open the silence that shrouds Franklin County.In vivid, muscular prose, Matt Bondurant brings these men their dark deeds, their long silences, their deep desires to life. His understanding of the passion, violence, and desperation at the center of this world is both heartbreaking and magnificent.

12. Kassie said:

A Humble Reminder – There is a reason why text messages have a character limit – 160 to be
    exact. What can we do together creatively to get that rate
    down. In either case, I would have not made the purchase if I would have just paid for the vet check.

13. http://www.blrimages.net/ said:

Im a purist when it comes to cream pies and ice cream – no nuts But in banana bread yes! Although nuts in the pie crust might be a good thing with this recipe – it might add some strength to it.

14. auto insurance said:

Not sure why McCain is considred more “electable” than Romney, who has a proven ability to win elections in one of the “bluest” states there is. I think his relative lead in early polliing is mostly name recognition.Romney’s less likely to provoke a third party run; he doesn’t provoke the strong feelings both positive & negative McCain does.

15. custombridalshowerinvitations said:

The lavish Gatsby house is in kings point about 10 minutes away from this one

16. http://www./ said:

Glad to see some iron rods, bed crowns and headboards in there. Hope for a good. Love the way you post pictures. They are fun to look at.

17. http://www.littleflowerstationery.com/ said:

you read my posts and Male Belly Dancers: Men in a Woman’s WorldMore on Male Belly Dancers, you’ll see that there is a long history of male belly dancers, and