reviews, recommendations, recipes, and The Bar Project

Jacob’s Creek Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon – Vintage 2002

Posted by dave

Jacob’s Creek Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Vintage 2002

So it’s no real surprise that we’re reviewing another Australian wine. As a matter of a fact, it’s no secret that – booze-for-buck – when it comes to wines, we think that Australia just about has the lock on the market.

However, trying to be responsible reviewers (and obviously trying to keep Australia from becoming snooty) we made a pact to try to vary our wine countries a little, and we did. Some of the bottles of wine we reviewed came from the vineyards of France, Italy, and South Africa.

But there I was in the wine store, and sitting lonely by itself was a bottle of Jacob’s Creek Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, vintage 2002 no less. No longer having to beg our parents “can we PLEASE take it home with us!??” I just slid the debit card through the little slot at the cashier station, and this little bottle was now part of our family.

However, as with all pets, we eventually had to open it and ingest what was inside, so we figured we’d share the experience with you, our very small public.

Turns out, this bottle of wine was less innocent than it looked in the wine store. As a matter of a fact, it bit back under no provocation of our own, and having done so, I realized this bottle would have to go the way of Old Yeller. Finding myself short one shotgun (and something to do with discharging firearms inside the house in my condo association documents) I decided that the task could be accomplished by drinking the wine, rather than shooting the bottle.

Doing so as I write this article (which may explain the slightly odd pet analogies) I’ve got to say this bottle of wine packed a little wallop. This is not to say that Cabernet Sauvignons (for the sake of my inability to spell “Cabernet Sauvignon”, will be now known as “Cabs”) are weak or tasteless in general, however Cab wines can be a softer, smoother, warm experience. This Cab even pretends to be so until the very end, and then it sneak attacks you.

This particular vintage was much more aggressive than I originally had expected. It’s woody, it’s dark, and dare I say it, slightly chocolaty. But those qualities are simply sideline players to its bite. The fruit and wood flavors make you expect one finish, when in fact, it’s hiding another. Here’s how it fools you.

You know before first taste that it will be warm and dark. The nose lets you in on that little tidbit. Then you sip. It hits the tongue, and you’re almost surprised by the cool fruitiness of it all. But as most drinking works, after putting said wine in your mouth, you must swallow. And then BAM! there is a strong bite in your throat that no nose or initial flavor had hinted at. As you ponder the bite, you start to feel the warmth traveling down your front. You have several glasses, and as you sip your last sip, you find yourself just as surprised by the finishing bite as you were during your first sip.

I would not recommend this as a general table wine. It is bold, and should be served with complimentary boldness, such as a hearty steak or a heavy Italian dish. It demands a touch of respect, but there are shortfalls.

This Cab has what I would call different flavor “acts”, but it is not particularly good at transitioning between them. The bite in your throat can overpower the rest of the experience, and it leaves your mouth and lips dry.

Those small things aside, at $13, it’s a formidable Cab. Finding another Cab with such strength would be difficult under $30. I’ll probably personally steer myself towards simpler Cabs (as the girlfriend likes) and ones that make better table wines, for sitting around with friends, enjoying stories. That said, this wine comes recommended, and if you’re in the mood for a strong Cab, try this one on for size.

Posted in Australian, Red Wine

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Trackbacks

1. toshiba repair

toshiba repair

Jacob’s Creek Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon – Vintage 2002 | The Bar Project Project

2. מעקות תל אביב

מעקות תל אביב

3. מנעולנים בהוד השרון

מנעולנים בהוד השרון

4. קורס מנעולנות קריות

קורס מנעולנות קריות

5. discount guitar

discount guitar

6. residential scaffolding City of London

residential scaffolding City of London

7. residential scaffolding Richmond

residential scaffolding Richmond

Comments

1. Margie said:

I just had this very wine last night for the first time.. Jacob’s Creek Reserve Cab Sauv 2002 it was do delicious.. I am now looking this up on the internet to see where I can get more.. the previous post by Dave was so wordy??? so involved with bites and changing feelings and tastes and I found none of this to be true.. this is a fabulous wine that I can find NO NEGATIVE comments about.. and the taste is delicious I can only describe it as such.. the post from Dave had me on the edge of my seat reading and reading to try to figure out what the heck he was actually saying?? did he like the wine or what?? I don’t care what surprizes me or what has this bite or that bite unless it has a bitter taste or bad taste… but in any case.. this was a fabulous wine make NO DOUBT in your mind that it is very tasty and well deserving of any meal and any group of friends that come over to chat.. sit by a fire.. it’s GREAT!! there’s no double talk here! Margie

2. dave said:

@Margie – I do tend to be wordy in my reviews, but it’s kind of how I write. I don’t disrespect this wine, but I did not find it to be a suitable table wine. I do recommend it, but mostly for drinking with heartier meals – heavy pasta dishes, or a good steak and potatoes. While a table wine is meant to be smooth and enjoyable with snacks or on its own, I found this wine to require food of equal stamina to keep up with.

That said, I appreciate your comments – perhaps other people will find me equally as wordy and nondescript, and can rely on the simplicity of your comments – you loved it, hands down, no reservations.

Thanks so much! (Sincerely.)

3. Philip said:

So, people love to receive home decor items as gifts on Diwali.
    With all of the wedding gifts on the industry today, it is often hard to
    narrow it down to a single the few with enjoy. Educators receive dozens of gifts for just about every
    gift-giving occasion.

4. Angry Birds Spielen Online said:

Another thing needed to be done as a parent is to set rules forr online games.
    Hasbro has created a game that combines physical, board play with interactive app ppay in Angry Birds Star Wars Telepods.
    However, it is fantastic for little hands that just cannot seem to keep a hold of things.

5. bestdigitalcameras2014.com said:

I’m not sure exactly why but this website is loading incredibly
    slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my
    end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

6. Which beard style suits me said:

I couldn’t resist commenting. Well written!

7. m88 said:

This piece of writig is really a good one it assists new wweb users, who arre wishing
    forr blogging.

8. homepage said:

The exhibition ends with the Orsay’s stunning collection of pointillist paints, represented by the masters Georges Seurat and Paul Signac.

9. mejor tv led said:

Very shortly this website will be famous among all blogging visitors, due to
    it’s good articles or reviews

10. Callie said:

Howdy I am so glad I found your weblog, I really
    found you by error, while I was looking on Digg for something else, Anyways I am here now and
    would just like to say thank you for a fantastic post and a all round interesting blog (I
    also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at
    the moment but I have saved it and also added in your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the fantastic jo.

11. מערכות מיגון said:

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find almost all
    of your post’s to be exactly I’m looking for.
    Does one offer guest writers to write content to suit your needs?
    I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on a lot of
    the subjects you write concerning here. Again, awesome blog!

12. מסגריה באזור המרכז said:

Another option to have a secure home is to change your
    lock rather than install a new. ‘ Locksmiths can also give genuine suggestions on the kind of security systems which should be installed.

Services include lock changes, lock change, lock replacement, lock rekeying, security safes,
    grilles and gates and gates.

13. https://www.gpugrid.net/team_display.php?teamid=64694 said:

This Hungry Shark Mod APK is exploiting a exploit or
    loophole within the Hungry Shark Evolution recreation database.

14. Tunglek ehkä lähetetä said:

I do accept as true with all the ideas you’ve introduced in your post.

They are really convincing and will definitely work.
    Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for starters.

Could you please prolong them a little from subsequent
    time? Thanks for the post.